- Run a dry bronze brush down the bore 3 – 4 times.
- Soak a suitable size patch in bore solvent and mount on a button jag.
- From the receiver end (and preferably through a bore guide) push the patch through the bore allowing it to fall off as it exits the muzzle. Repeat with a new patch. For maximum results allow the bore to “soak” for at least 15 minutes before continuing. On gas operated auto loading rifles, position the gun so that the gas port is up.
- Wet a nylon brush in bore solvent and work the brush through the bore approximately 20 times.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 with two dry patches. If fouling is still present, repeat step 3 with wet patches.
- When satisfied that the bore is clean, run two dry patches through the bore.
- To further protect the bore, run an oily mop through the bore several times leaving a light coat of oil.
Picture credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trainor/3829878273/in/photostream/